Ozone generators are designed for indoor use only and operate best in a dry (low humidity) environments. The area(s) being treated should be closed off so that the gas can concentrate and build potency. All people, pets, and plants MUST be vacated from the treatment area as well. To further ensure safety you should post warning signage outside the area being treated by the ozone generator.
For the best results, it is recommended that all internal doors, cabinets, drawers etc. Are left open so that the gas can flow freely. To ensure enhanced treatment in larger areas, using a fan (Or HVAC “fan mode”) to help circulate the gas can be very effective. Because ozone is heavier than air, it may be necessary to elevate the ozone machine.
**DO NOT run the ozone generator constantly, instead, use the timer, cycle the ozone machine on and off to allow for the most effective treatment. Stronger odors require more treatment time however, every situation is different.
When you return to an area after an ozone shock treatment, you’ll detect the aroma of “ultra fresh” air, free from any odors. Many have described this “ultra fresh” smell as the fragrance of cloths that have just come off an outdoor clothesline. Others have described it as the smell of the ocean, or the air after a thunderstorm. The fresh air aroma, a pleasant benefit of an ozone shock treatment, will usually dissipate within a few days. What remains are the odors of the natural wood, slate, stone or other building materials. The treatment safely eliminates the unpleasant odors, allergens, biological pollutants and VOCs.
Oils from the skin can leave a residue on hard surfaces (such as a kitchen table). These oils will be attacked by the ozone, which will oxidize them, and leave the surface “tacky.” The same can be said for TV remotes, or cabinet handles, literally any high contact items. They can be cleaned with warm soapy water to remove this tack. Though ozone is a gas that is up to 3,000 times more powerful than Chlorine bleach, it is a green technology that leaves no chemical residues behind.